The friars of the party called them the mountains of Santa Ana. The friars then named the Santa Ana River after the mountains of. A common misnomer is that Santa Ana is named after General Santa Anna of Alamo fame. However, there is no supporting evidence to suggest this and the first documented uses of Santa Ana were in reference to the Santa Ana winds.
Unfortunately, there is no consensus on how the Santa Ana winds were known, just a lot of theories. Our editors will review what you submitted and determine if they should review the article. Santa Ana (with a population of 337.97), the seat of Orange County, derives its name from the first Spanish exploration of the area. In 1769, Don Gaspár de Portolá, a leader of the Spanish expedition, discovered a picturesque valley and river in Southern California, which he named Santa Ana.
The city of Santa Ana is a busy urban area with close ties to the founding of Orange County, being the county seat and still containing major government facilities, such as the Superior Courthouse and the Civic Center. Santa Ana began to grow after the South Pacific Railroad built a line to the area in 1877. The downtown area also contains shops and housing, as well as the Santa Ana Civic Center and the Ronald Reagan Courthouse and Federal Building. The community developed as a center for Santa Ana Valley produce after the South Pacific Railroad connected it (187) to Los Angeles. Original Orange County Courthouse - 211 W Santa Ana Blvd at Broadway Built in 1900 with red sandstone from Arizona, this is the oldest existing county courthouse in Southern California.
Named the county seat in 1889, Santa Ana is also known as the financial and governmental center of Orange County. Under a Spanish land concession, the area was developed as Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana for grazing and livestock farming. The Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce hosted a breakfast to stimulate Main Street business between 4th & 5th Streets, July 27, 1931. After intense lobbying in Sacramento, Santa Ana won the county seat designation and became the area's political power base. The city's largest employers are Orange County, Santa Ana Unified School District, Santa Ana College, First American Title Company, City of Santa Ana, KPC Healthcare, California Superior Court, Orange County, United States Postal Service, and Johnson & Johnson.
It was explored by the Spaniard Gaspar de Portolá in 1769, and later Juan Pablo Grijalva (180) was granted a land concession for the area, which he called Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana and developed for cattle grazing and agriculture. If you are interested in the history of Santa Ana, you can find it along with general Santa Ana information, Santa Ana educational resources, and information about Santa Ana real estate and housing, both for residents and visitors. William Spurgeon purchased 70 acres of land in 1869 from the Yorba family and established the new city of Santa Ana. Santa Ana is also developing a citywide historic preservation plan to guide future preservation efforts.