The origins of Santa Ana began in 1810, when the Spanish governor of California granted the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana to José Antonio Yorba. After the Mexican War of Independence, the Yorba family ranch expanded, becoming one of the largest and most valuable in the region and home to a diverse community in California. After the U.S. conquest of California, the ranch was sold to the Sepúlveda family, who later lost their land claim.
Spurgeon later purchased the ranch and formally founded the modern city of Santa Ana. Our editors will review what you submitted and determine if they should review the article. After the expedition of Gaspar de Portolá in 1769 from Mexico City, then capital of New Spain, Fr. Junípero Serra called the Vallejo area of Santa Ana (Santa Ana Valley or Santa Ana Valley).
Santa Ana is the corporate headquarters of several companies, including Behr Paint, First American Corporation, Greenwood & Hall, Ingram Micro, SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union, STEC, TTM Technologies, Kern's and Wahoo Fish Taco. Spurgeon bought 70 acres and laid out a town, kept the tradition and named the new town Santa Ana. The large ranches in the valley were subdivided and sold to newcomers, many of whom later founded the cities of Santa Ana, Orange and Tustin. In 1958, Honer Plaza and Bullock's Fashion Square shopping centers opened, which would replace downtown Santa Ana, with its department stores such as Rankin's, Ward's, Penney's and Buffums.
Since the land had been part of the Santiago de Santa Ana ranch and since it was also close to the Santa Ana River, the town was called Santa Ana. Having been a constituent city since November 11, 1952, the citizens of Santa Ana amended the charter in November 1988 to provide for the direct election of the mayor, who until then had been appointed from among the members of the council. It was explored by the Spaniard Gaspar de Portolá in 1769, and later Juan Pablo Grijalva (180) was granted a land concession for the area, which he called Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana and developed for cattle grazing and agriculture. Since the 1980s, Santa Ana has been characterized by an effort to revitalize the city center, whose influence had diminished, even as it had become a dynamic shopping and entertainment center for working-class Latinos.
Firestone Boulevard, the first direct driving route between Los Angeles and Santa Ana, opened in 1935; it was extended to the Santa Ana Highway in 1953. Greyhound Lines is Santa Ana's largest bus transportation service and serves the continental United States and Canada. Another member of the Portola group, a soldier named Antonio Yorba, and his nephew, Juan Peralta, received a Spanish grant for land that extends from the foothills of the Santa Ana Canyon to the ocean. Santa Ana has more than 13,000 businesses in the city; major industries include a combination of retail, service and manufacturing companies. Santa Ana (with a population of 337.97), the seat of Orange County, derives its name from the first Spanish exploration of the area.
In 1769, Don Gaspár de Portolá, a leader of the Spanish expedition, discovered a picturesque valley and river in Southern California, which he named Santa Ana. Like most minority-majority cities in the United States, Santa Ana is a stronghold of the Democratic Party.