The origins of Santa Ana began in 1810, when the Spanish governor of California granted the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana to José Antonio Yorba. After the Mexican War of Independence, the Yorba family ranch expanded, becoming one of the largest and most valuable in the region and home to a diverse community in California. After the U.S. conquest of California, the ranch was sold to the Sepúlveda family, who later lost their land claim.
Spurgeon later purchased the ranch and formally founded the modern city of Santa Ana. The core of the city is the downtown area, which contains both stores and housing, as well as the Santa Ana Civic Center, which is a dense campus of administrative buildings for both the city and Orange County. Santa Ana has several wall paintings and murals that represent local history, community events, and cultural diversity in Orange County. Having been an autonomous city since November 11, 1952, the citizens of Santa Ana amended the Charter of November 1988 to provide for the direct election of the mayor who until then had been appointed from among the members of the council.
José Andrés Sepúlveda, a famous Californian cowboy, bought most of the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana, but lost his land claim after the U. Also on the east side of the city is the Santa Ana Zoo, notable for its collection of monkeys and species from South and Central America. In 1810, the year of the beginning of Mexico's war of independence (1810-1882), land was granted to José Antonio Yorba, a sergeant in the Spanish army, who called Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana. Like most minority-majority cities in the United States, Santa Ana is a stronghold of the Democratic Party.
Don Bernardo Yorba, a prominent Californian rancher, owned all of Santa Ana and served as its mayor (mayor). The Santa Ana Artist Village was created around the Grand Central Art Center at Cal State Fullerton to attract artists and young professionals to live-work lofts and new businesses. The Garden Grove Highway (State Route 2) runs near the northern border of Santa Ana and connects Long Beach to the west and the city of Orange to the east. Santa Ana is the corporate headquarters of several companies, including Behr Paint, First American Corporation, Greenwood & Hall, Ingram Micro, SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union, STEC, TTM Technologies, Kern's and Wahoo Fish Taco.
Under a Spanish land concession, the area was developed as Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana for grazing and livestock farming. Since the 1980s, Santa Ana has been characterized by an effort to revitalize the city center, whose influence had diminished. The city is also home to Santa Ana College, a two-year public community college, as well as the University of the California Coast and the Orange County branch of the California Art Institute. We're proud to showcase the best Santa Ana stores and Santa Ana amenities to fit every lifestyle.
Having been a constituent city since November 11, 1952, the citizens of Santa Ana amended the charter in November 1988 to provide for the direct election of the mayor, who until then had been appointed from among the members of the council.